05 June 2008

Remembering a Commandment {Confession, Exhortation

I’d forgotten something that my Lord commanded me. I read over it many times and failed to take it as a command. It wasn’t a deliberate denial. It wasn’t an ignorant innocence. It was laziness. A branding iron will leave its mark on flesh, but not on tough stone; likewise the commandment, which had lost none of its potency, did not impress my ensnared mind.
Before sending out his twelve, Jesus “saw the crowds, he had compassion for them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd. Then he said to his disciples, ‘The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few; therefore pray earnestly to the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest’” (Mat. 9:36-38 ESV).
When this commandment was brought to my attention recently, suddenly I remembered what I was so excited for in July of 2006, when I prayed as he told me before going to college. To obey the command is to bless countless multitudes, and should the Lord send you, to take up the best adventure.
Pray for the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers.

1 comment:

Penn Tomassetti said...

Glad to hear this! I often pray that verse about the Lord sending laborers into His harvest. I often add, "Here am I, send me."

Grace to you,

Penn